Ever since she was a wee babe, Sophie has always been a great eater. Owen on the other hand… is not. It’s a constant struggle to get him to eat anything. In fact, if it were up to him, he would live completely off of milk. I’m pretty sure milk runs through his veins 🙂
Needless to say, when I find a food that he likes and actually eats, it’s a pretty big deal.
Enter… chicken nuggets.
He was first introduced to them at McDonald’s (*shudder*). We’ve since switched him to this homemade version, and the whole family is a fan 🙂
All you need to do is cut up some chicken breasts into nugget sized pieces (the bigger they are, the longer they will take to cook!). Then dip them into flour, egg, and a super simple breadcrumb mixture. They bake in the oven – no frying needed!
Might I just add… these are delicious. Packed with flavor, super crunchy on the outside, and all-around the perfect chicken nugget. Yum!
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a large cookie sheet with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Trim the fat off of the chicken breasts, and cut into "nugget-sized" pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika, and onion powder.
- In another bowl, crack egg, and whisk together with a fork.
- In final bowl, dump in the flour.
- Dip a piece of chicken into flour, then into the egg, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure it is well coated, and press the crumbs into the chicken, to attach as many as possible. Set onto cookie sheet, and repeat with all nuggets.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes, flipping halfway through. Nuggets are done when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Serve with ketchup, or your favorite dipping sauce!