About 2 years ago, I took a rare trip to the store without my kiddos. I was sick of the same old “watch a movie after the kids go to bed” date night Jonny and I had been having every. single. weekend. So I decided to be a little silly, and bought ourselves some Nerf guns. Weird? Probably. More fun than movies? Absolutely.
When I was checking out, the guy at the register saw my guns and laughed, saying “these aren’t for you, are they?” Of course, being the awkward person that I am, I replied “umm… yes. They’re for me and my husband.”
I immediately realized (way too late) that I should’ve lied. But the damage was done. He gave me a weird look, I turned bright red, and I ran out of there as fast as I could.
With that awkward encounter behind me, we really have enjoyed having Nerf guns! Especially Owen 🙂 When I was growing up, my brother and I used to fling rubber bands at targets, and try to knock things over. Since my little monkeys are too young for that, we decided to do the same thing, but with Nerf guns.
We bought THESE guns, and have loved them. Once they’re older, we’ll probably get something more beefed up. But for now, the little ones work great!
So here are some fun Nerf games you can play…
1. A simple target competition – that’s what we do! I bought some army men (well, they’re actually pirates and ninjas) that are different colors. I set them up at different heights, and have the kids try to shoot them down. They each have to shoot their assigned color, and if they knock down the opponent’s color, they lose a point!
2. DIY Spinning target board from Frugal Fun For Boys – This surprisingly simple tutorial makes awesome targets that spin when you hit them!
3. Capture the Flag with Nerf guns, from WikiHow – Such a cool way to spice up an already fun game!
4. Nerf Skeeball from Lovely With a Side – Skeeball is one of my favorite games, and I love how easy this is to put together.
5. Nerf “Paintball” from Taryn’s Journal – Have you ever played paintball?? SO awesome. This version is just as cool, but hurts a lot less 🙂
6. Balloon Ninjas – I’m not sure who originally created these, but what little boy wouldn’t LOVE these?
And there you go! Go buy some Nerf guns and have a grand ole time – with your kids OR husband 🙂
*This post includes affiliate links, which are marked by an asterisk (*). Thanks so much for supporting TCMB!